Thursday, August 25, 2011

The Misuse of Spiritual Gifts

I gained a lot by hearing Stephen Rummage (Bell Shoals Baptist) teach on the misuse of spiritual gifts (1 Corinthians 12).  He gave examples of the gifts, the purpose of the gifts and how they might be misused.  I got a lot out of this message because, of course, I’ve done it!  But the Lord is helping me to rectify that situation as we speak!  I didn’t get to write them all but the few I got are:

Prophecy –used to tell God’s truth. Misuse: not telling people the truth about God’s Word (bending & twisting it) and becoming judgmental of others because you receive revelations about them.

Ministry – used to show God’s love to people. Misuse: “Loving” people to gain benefits for yourself by the use of flattery.

Exhortation – used to lift people up. Misuse: People-pleasing.

I confess, I’ve misused my gifts and then blamed the errors I’ve made on my background and on my problems.  I now realized that I must depend on the Lord to equip and train me to use my spiritual gifts in the proper way, so that I will not be defined by my background and past problems.  In fact, it’s already done! (Ephesians 2:10) The Lord does this so that we are able to walk in the newness of life, the life that HE IS. (John 14:6- I am the Life)

Hallelujah for The Life!

No comments:

Post a Comment